Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Goings On

Been riding a little more lately. In the last week, I've ridden 4 times and today will be the first back to back day I've had in a while. Last night was 90 minutes out in the valley doing loops. Yep, those boring 18-19mph loops just riding recovery around and around. My legs really seemed to feel better at the end of the night, too. Saturday was another edition of the Covered Bridge route. Man, that ride kicked me hard. It was fun to share the ride with 3 teammates and a buddy from work who races for Manchester Trek, because without them, I'm sure it would have taken me twice as long.

For the rest of the year, I will be focusing my efforts off-road. Mountain biking and cyclocross will fill out the remainder of the competitive events. I may jump into 1 race at the Gateway Cup, but it's been too much this year trying to balance all of the options of racing road and off-road. Besides, there are some great events coming up in the next few months. Greensfelder, Cape Girardeau, Rapture in Misery, and Burnin' at the Bluff just to name a few.

From the training perspective, I made a decision to drop my coach, Andy Gibbs. This was a very difficult decision for me. Andy helped me prepare myself far beyond what I thought was possible. I recall thinking about what sort of times I would need running to be competitve in the sport class this year and simply shook my head in disbelief. Andy helped me prepare a plan to cover those gaps and do it in a way that was right for me, not a 'one size fits all' plan. He studied my workouts and made changes or offered the right amount of advice at the right times. All in all, he deserves a lot of credit for the success I had this year and my decision to stop working with him was tough to say the least. My decision wasn't based on any negatives with Andy, but rather due to a commitment to my family. If you're looking for a great coach, look no further that AGCoaching

2 comments:

Living a Lie said...

Glad to here you will be doing some cross this year. Its just around the corner.

Jeff Yielding said...

you're invited - email me if you want in.

http://hermanncross.blogspot.com/