Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Putting in the Miles

Did the TNW's B race last night. Planned to do some hard efforts with some short recoveries. I went hard and stayed in the top 1/3 of the pack until 20 minutes in and then jumped out for 1 1/2 laps (I soft pedaled 1/2 lap) and then finished with 1 to go. I wasn't going to contest the race, so another bike in the mix wasn't going to do any good.

Today, I rode for 60 minutes of recovery in the rain. I love riding in the rain (weird, I know) but it's just a fun time for me. The only down side is the bike cleaning that must occur following a ride. Nice recovery miles today with little issues. In fact the only issue (which is actually major) is that I came the closest I ever have to being hit by a car. Someone decided they didn't want to wait for oncoming traffic to clear before passing me on Weidman Road and drove their Subaru Outback station wagon to within 6-8 inches of my left leg at 30 mph. I had nowhere to go and it certainly got my attention. At times I think it's inevitable (getting hit by a car) and other times I feel invincible. Just another reason to pray before, during, and after my rides.

My legs really seem to be coming back around. I was a little worried early on, but the miles seem to be healing the time off the bike. I'm sticking to my schedule of ride hard, recover on bike, and rest. It's working well thus far, but there are a lot of miles left to go.

No comments: