Sunday, December 28, 2008

I May be Fat, but I'm Rested

Dang, it doesn't take long for the pounds to come roaring back with a vengeance! I really haven't cared about what I was eating for the last month or so. My early November birthday sort of kickstarted the whole affair. While I knew there was another month to go in the cross season, the cooler November caused my body to respond with a seemingly natural desire to increase caloric intake. Call it an inate survival mentality. Cold temps require more fuel for the fire. Unfortunately, calories come in at a higher rate, but my body gets more sedentary. As a result, I get fat. Quickly.

I'm okay with it to some extent. It's been good enjoying food and drinks with my friends and family. Really nice not worrying about when I'll get on the bike and what foods I'll skip vs what I'll eat. However, that fire is quickly burning itself out. This morning's weigh-in was shocking! Once again it's time to start each day with stretching, lifting, riding, and focusing a little more on what doesn't get consumed. Not my formal training mind you, just getting ready to train. Base building...getting ready for training camp you might say.

I'm not going to begin my formal training until the end of January and yes, that's 3 months behind last year's schedule. Why the change this year? Less focus on MTB and Road and more focus on TT's and CX. I think I'm looking at 5-6 MTB races, 4-5 crits, and all of the TT's I can find, as well as another full season of CX. I've had a blast racing TT's and loved the CX experience. Therefore, they will become my main focus. I also like the similarities in what it takes to excel at each. Riding a solo effort with a willingness to push your body harder than the next guy.

I look forward to this year. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your not alone, I read this entry with a bag of chips at my side. -jp

Anonymous said...

Not fat, just... fluffy. :)

If you can't have a little fun over the holidays, when can you? And the price you pay for it is a few extra libbies. No biggie. They'll be gone soon enough.

Besides, you need the stored fuel for all that base work we're going to do.

Anonymous said...

breadsticks!

rudy