Saturday, April 21, 2007

Work gets in the way

I spent almost all of last week out of town on business. Monday and Tuesday were spent in the Four Seasons hotel in Toronto and Thursday and Friday were spent in New York City. Monday was the first day (of an entire week) of great weather, too. It figures. When we landed in Toronto, is was a mixture of sleet/snow and the winds were gusting to 40 mph. IT SUCKED! The weather was crappy the whole time, but at least I spent it in a hotel, so it didn't matter. The weather in NYC was marginally better. Actually Friday was quite nice in NYC. After I finished my business, I stopped by Gotham Bikes at 112 Broadway and picked up a couple of jerseys. My thoughts were since I couldn't ride, at least I could spend some money on something bike related.

Speaking of spending money on biking, I had Mark at Ballwin Cycles order my new long-distance bike frame. It's a Gunnar Sport and will be charcoal silver. I'm planning on using charcoal, black, and silver as the colors for the bike. This will be the frame I ride on 100+ mile rides. 62cm steel frame. I'm having them add a 3rd water bottle mount when they build the frame. Mark is already building a set of wheels for the bike. We're going with 28h/32h Chris King hubs mounted to Mavic Open Pro rims. A standard 3x spoke pattern will be used, as the wheels need to be strong, not flashy. Nothing like dealing with a broken spoke at 8pm at night on a 200 or 300 mile ride. I'll post some pics of the bike when it's done. Right now, I'm hoping to have it ready for the 400km ride on 5/19. Right now, I think I'll be doing the 300km on my Bianchi Veloce.

All I know at this point is that my legs should be in great shape, as I haven't been riding. I'm hoping to start stacking the miles up beginning on Monday. I'm looking to start my early morning rides (leave the house at 5:15am) which enables me to get a ride of 2 to 2 1/2 hours in before I head to work. That leaves me starting while it's dark, but I can use the time to get used to riding with headlights, as is required during the longer brevet rides.

No comments: