Monday, July 16, 2007

The Elastic Has Stretched!

Monday nights mean the Mueller ride. It's been my weekly pain train. It's where I go to put some speed in my legs and push the aerobic envelope. Lately, I've had some really good rides there. Each week, I finish that ride feeling stronger and stronger. That's a good thing because I've been busting my a$$ to get myself ready for a two week layoff while I'm on vacation.

Tonight, we had a good turnout from the Pfoodman/Wapiti gang. All in we had 11 or 12 riders there. I had been reporting all day that I was riding with the fast group, but that we'd have more than enough folks for 'slower' groups. Unfortunately, we were a little less than organized at the start and as the pack rolled out, I decided I was going. If anyone wanted a taste of the fast life, it was time to roll. Some of my teammates missed the rollout. Sorry, about that guys. We'll get better as we get more in synch with each other's habits and desires.

In the 'fast group' the pace rolled along at 23-24mph or so. I was chatting with Dave Schindler and picking his brain for a few pack riding pointers while discussing his new shop Fit Pro. I told him I would most likely be calling on him for some fitting help with my bikes. The pack of 40 or so rolled along towards highway 94 and I was doing a good job of saving energy by staying out of the wind. As we approached the intersection about 12 riders made it through the intersection before a car came and split the pack. I got left at the intersection and thought, "crap, now I've got to sprint to catch the group!" I told myself not to panic and to actually attempt to bridge the gap. As I sprinted off at 30mph or so, I remember thinking "this isn't too smart and you're going to get caught in no man's land. Why didn't you stay with the pack instead of wasting all of your energy?" As it turns out, I didn't have to think too long as the rest of the pack came to my rescue (not their intent) and I was able to rejoin the main pack.

As we continued to roll, I recall thinking about previous pack rides and how it sucks sitting at the back because of the 'slinky effect.' I decided to move up to the top 10 or so and felt fairly comfortable there. We continued to press on and took the pace up to 28-29mph. As the pace quickened I worked harder to stay out of the wind and conserve more and more energy. I failed to wear my heart monitor, but I could tell I was feeling good and my legs and lungs felt fine. I kept counting down the miles and continuing my strategy.

As we hit the '3 miles to go' mark, I knew I was going to make it home just fine and started getting closer to the front to see what life up there was like. Again, I found myself with Dave Schindler. Dave and I were riding about 5 bikes back from the leader. He told me to get ready for the acceleration. This was with 1 mile to go. I decided, I would stir up some crap (just like I do with our team rides) and push the pace. So, while everyone was looking up the left side of the road and I accelerated up the right side. Directly towards some slower riders that the pack was overtaking. I rode myself right into a box. At this point, every rider was passing me like I was exiting a freeway. I slipped back in but was now 20-25 bikes back. Save the sprint, finish in the peloton.

It was my fastest 28 mile ride ever. I finished in 1h 7m for an average pace of 25mph. I felt great afterwards. I felt proud that I've been working so hard and sacrificing my legs so much. I just hope the vacation doesn't set me back too much. However, I do know I feel much better about how I've been training and my outlook on riding. It's been a good year. I just hope I finish it strong. I may not win any races the rest of my life, but I do know this....the elastic maybe stretching, but it hasn't snapped!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Boz;

Congrats on the great and fast ride. I am glad we have pulled this band of riders together in hopes of all of us improving from where we all are.

Orzie

Boz said...

Thanks Orzie. It think we have a good group of riders and I'd love to help others get the bug like I have.
Boz