Sunday, July 15, 2007

To Gear or Not to Gear

I rode the Chubb trail with several friends (old and new) on Saturday. The ride was organized by Loran Cavano, whom I met at the Matson races this past month. Loran advertised the ride as an easy paced ride at a beginner's pace. I decided it would be a nice change of pace to get off of the road rides and get out with 'El Cavano' and enjoy the trails. I also figured it was a perfect invitation to introduce the single speed Karate Monkey to Chubb Trail.

If you've ever ridden Chubb, you know the single speed experience should only be done by the experts. Well, I'm no expert, but I certainly am determined. I figured if the pace was going to be slower, it was perfect conditions for riding and pushing the Monkey up the steepest of hills. I discovered the ride wasn't too terribly difficult. I rode most of the first climb to just below the stairs. After remounting above the stairs, I rode the trail to just below the trail to the picnic table. I found that most of the trails weren't too steep, but simply too difficult due to the lack of traction or the considerable number of chopped up rocks.

After regrouping at the picnic table we descended into Tyson on the trail which lead directly away from the stairs. I hadn't ridden this section of Chubb and found the trail a treat to descend eventhough I was doing it on an unsuspended single speed. We regrouped at the pavillion at the Tyson end of the park. Afterwards we began our trek back to the top of the trail and the picnic table. I climbed all but one section of the trail and that was due to traction issues with some larger rocks. I've discovered the steepness of the trail isn't what kills you single speeding, as much as the surface. Larger rocks which tend to roll out from underneath your wheels are the bane of a single speed.

After another regrouping at the picnic table it was time to head for home and the cars. I rode out with my buddy, Dutch, and had an easy ride out. Overall, it was one of the harder days on a mountain bike that I'd had in some time, but I was quite pleased with my ability to ride over such demanding terrain.

Joining us on the ride was the legendary mountain biker and dietician, Stan Crocker, whom I've only read about on The Ralph Account (http://theralphaccount,blogspot.com); Christine Ford, a newbie to St. Louis, but a damn good rider and racer, Steve O'Neal, Dutch Oberle, Denny Huebner, Loran Cavano, Steve Smith, Pat Havermale, and a couple of other riders.

I'm thankful Loran organized the day and actually look forward to taking the Gunnar out next week to stay on the lead of the pack for the ride. Rides like this one are what got me into the sport. I enjoy the camaraderie and the fact that the egos are left at the trailhead. I also like it when the organizer shows up with PowerBar goodies for all of the riders!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning into a non-competitive softie. I still am preparing for the upcoming races with a vengence. However, if rides like this one would be my only option going forward, I'd be a happy man. Good trails, good weather, good health, and good friends.

3 comments:

El Cavano said...

Craig,

Glad you came out for the ride. Seems like this Saturday morning schedule might have legs!

LC

PS: Any developments on the Cyclocross front? As I recall, you were heading right out the the bike store to take care of this.

Boz said...

Not yet. The store was closed on Sunday. I'll give it some thought while on vacation. Any recommendations?

Anonymous said...

artists abusage isolate masie impede vailshali impinge crossed distribution prophylaxis shankar
lolikneri havaqatsu