Sunday, July 22, 2007

Riding is a Choice


I recently purchased this book. I'm intrigued by the story of Saul Raisin. Here is someone who was literally at 'death's door.' He has been given the blessing of a second life and he's making every effort to make it count for something. Here's a link to a quick story on Saul featured on Versus. http://www.daveshields.com/saulreviews.html If you get a chance, order one of the books from Dave Shields and help the cause.

As I think about Saul's story (and the story of so many others in similar situations) I think about how blessed I am to 'get to ride a bike.' Riding is an option, not a privilege. I know this first hand. My own daughter has cerebal palsy and deals life's challenges everday. Riding a bike is something the doctors said she'd most likely never do. She can. At this stage in her life, she chooses not to. (She lives vicariously through her father's on bike exploits.) Saul is dealing with some of the same issues as people with cerebal palsy. Their brains must 're-learn' or 're-wire' to account for the brain damage. This isn't something that happens overnight. Even when the body makes the accomodations, their are still minor difficulties to overcome.

Think about the opportunities you have the next time you're on your bike. Think about the struggles others must deal with daily. Consider the pain you're dealing with and how it would compare to a life of suffering. Seems to me the pain is a blessing during a ride because it makes us stronger and it's temporary.

3 comments:

Dave Shields said...

It's humbling to read comments like yours. Ride on!

Boz said...

Thanks, Dave. I had to call on some of those thoughts last night during our Monday night hammerfest!

SourDad said...

Nice post Boz. Riding at any speed is still riding, and I live for it.