Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Sometimes you just need to plow on

That's me on the right with Mike Shipman on the left. Dan Mogus and Phil Owen are attempting to break from the group just ahead. A short time after this photo was taken lets just say they were feeling strong legs. I obliged their spirits and finished the sprint in the lead. The group is good about jumping the pace up from time to time and generally, I'm to blame for causing it.
Sorry the posts have been non-existent lately. There's been a lot going on in my life. New job (same company) with a totally new role; my son turned 10 on the 4th of July; and we're trying to get the family ready to head to Europe for 2 weeks.
The good news is that I've been getting a lot of riding in. I mentioned last time that I had every intention of beating my body apart in preparation for some late season races. I think I've been doing a pretty good job of that so far. I've ridden with the team several times and offered up some muscles to the training gods. I know I spent one entire week feeling like someone had beaten my thighs with a ball peen hammer, so I guess I achieved my goal of taxing the $hit out of myself. I think it's paying dividends, too. I took on the Monday night speed ride and hammered the 28 mile loop in just over 1 hour and 15 minutes or an average speed of just under 23 mph. It hurt. But as John Cougar Mellencamp or John Cougar or John Mellencamp or whatever the hell he's called now sings, "It hurt so good!"
I'm also tackling the hills like a fourwheeler on methanol. I used to dread them, now, I have this insatiable desire to tear the asphalt or rocks off of any hill I see. They still hurt and I'm not ready for the polka dot jersey (although I own one for it's ironic value) I'm better on the hills.
I'm riding and just plowing onward.

No comments: