Friday, December 14, 2007

I'm just saying


What's happening around here? Things are hitting a bizarre-o factor of dead of winter proportions! What am I talking about?


Check out this gem of a discussion over on StlBiking! http://stlbiking.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9911 Perhaps dialogue like this is what you get when overly competitive types spend too much time thinking and not enough time training and riding? In the end, I think the argument says we must choose sides over supporting a company who supports bike racing or telling (same) company to quit supporting the desires of the public who also happen to hate bikers. But now I'm confused. Aren't bike racers a subset of the general public? are we mutually exclusive? can the public actually hate us?


What's up with our local weather? Mr. Bad meet Mr. Worse. We did need the rain....4 months ago! Now our local weather forecasters are calling for 6-10" of snow Friday night. Translation, Saturday will be the pick day of the week for a road ride. I guess local bread and milk sales were sagging, so the alerts were sounded and the weather(people) responded with prognostications of an epic snowfall. Quick question. Why does the forecast for foul weather increase the appetite for bakery goods and dairy products? A future study may be in order.


Traffic on the local highways. I-40/64 is less than 3 weeks from a shut down but MoDot assures we'll all be okay. Sorry for my apprehension, but aren't you the same group that has struggled to close the Daniel Boone bridge for 1 weekend on 3 separate occasions? You know, Olympic sprinters are tossed from the race after 2 false starts. Blame it on the weather forecast you say? Please re-read item #2.


Performance Enhancing Drugs in baseball. You think last year's Tour de France resembled a circus, just sit back and watch the claims, excuses, and fallout from this bombshell. It's very unfortunate, too. Another sport gets it black eye. Another set of excuses for a sedentary lifestyle. "It's all a sham." "Why work hard when someone else can cheat and win?" Why work hard? Because you should, you can, and it's rewarding. Don't believe me, try it.


You won't see me loading up on performance enhancing drugs before I shovel my driveway tomorrow, no sir. I'll consume a hardy breakfast of bread and milk, grab my shovel, open the garage door, toss the shovel on the ground and head back into the house to get dressed for a road bike ride. Sorry, if you think this post is a little cynical you're right.
I'm just saying.

No comments: