Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Out with the old


And in with the new. Meet the new race bike, Intense Spider 29. This will be my race bike for 2008 (and hopefully beyond.) I was quite happy with my Gunnar Rockhound, but on really long rides, I was feeling a little beaten up. (Yes, I'm getting older.) I'm thinking of swapping everything over from the Gunnar, but I've also given consideration to building this bike up with all new components. I don't know yet, but I'll have the bike in approximately 2 weeks, so I've got some decisions to make.
I thought long and hard about this bike vs. several others. Included in my thoughts were the Turner Sultan, Ventana El Rey, and a Titus Racer X. At no time did I give any consideration to going back to a 26" wheeled bike. Sorry, been there done that. Besides, for a guy of my size the 29er just feels better. I ride it better and feel more comfortable between the wheels.
I ended up getting the bike from Dave Chase at http://www.redstonecyclery.com/redstone/home.htm in Lyons, Colorado. Dave and I traded a number of emails and then had a couple of phone conversations before I made my decision. Dave used to work for Schwinn and covered the midwest and has ridden all of our trails. He owns the Intense Spider 29, as well as the Turner Sultan, and commented if he was moving to St. Louis, the Spider would be the bike he would ride. As it turns out, my choices were down to the Turner and the Intense and after talking with Dave, my choice became crystal clear.
I've been getting rid of a lot of bikes lately in preparation for this decision. I'm likely to sell 2 more frames and then I will be down to 2 mtb's, 2 road bikes, and 1 'cross bike. Seems reasonable to me. However, unless this weather changes and things dry out, perhaps I should be looking at another set of rollers or even a stationary bike??


5 comments:

Pedaldork said...

Hey P.O.D. I've enjoyed reading your blog over the last couple of months. It's weird, many of them, sound like something I could of written. From your dedication/struggle with your walk with Christ, to the "whining" about the weather (we've got 6 inches of snow here in Eastern Arizona). I'm typically a roadie but will occasionally throw myself on my mtn bike.

I saw your post on commuting and was thinking, maybe we could challenge each other to see who can get the most straight days commuting. I've got about a 6 mile ride to my office and struggle with the committment to get my butt out there. I'm dealing with a nagging thyroid problem right now and cycling seems to make the symptoms subside so I need to quit my "whining" and put up or shut up.
Are you game?? Sound cool? Maybe some of your other riding buddies would be up for it.

Boz said...

Seeing as it has been rain, freezing rain, sleet, or extremely cold since I wrote about commuting to work....it's a deal. I finally got the bike ready and now I need to "harden up" and start riding my 10 mile round trip commute.

One of the biggest issues I will deal with is the lack of showers at work and the fact that I have to change into a "suit and tie" clothing. If we were business casual, it would be so much easier. We also have a cubicle office setting, but at least I've got an office sized cubicle that has a closet for my work clothes and space to keep my bike.

I'd like to say I'll start Monday, but I have to be on another campus Monday. Let the games begin on Tuesday?

Boz

Pedaldork said...

Boz, Sounds good. We're obviously going to have to be a little lenient (sp) when it comes to the weather/work. Fortunately, I'm the owner of our company so clothing shouldn't be an issue for me. The weather is going to be a pain, looks like you guys are expecting another storm. We've got snow on the ground butright now it's just really cold. I'm anxious to see how much I can tough it out. We can post our local weather reports (if I can figure out how to do it) if we need to use the weather as an excuse. We don't have showers at work either, but at 15 degrees, being sweaty usually isn't an issue.
Tuesday sounds good to me. How about we go until May and see who can keep the longest stretch (if we fail to ride, that person starts over). Don't kill yourself on the ice.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think a full supension 29'er borders on overkill for a 10 mile commute.

Does the fork lock out?

LC

Boz said...

It's gonna be crazy commuting conditions once I-40 shuts down. Every man for himself with the right tools to get the job done! El Cavano, you just can't resist your temptations to the 29ers...give in to the dark side, brother!