Thursday, December 20, 2007

New hoops

Picked up a new set of hoops for mtb racing. The new Mavic Crossmax 29ers. Yes, El Cavano they are UST compatible! Tubeless is in the cards for me in 2008. I'm going to run these as a race only set (I think) and plan on converting my 'everyday' wheelsets to tubeless as well. I've taken too much flack for being a luddite when it comes to the tubeless tire revolution.

Mark at Ballwin Cycles (my home shop) hooked me up with a great deal on the wheels (always appreciated, thanks Mark) and when he asked me if I wanted the Mavic wheel replacement plan I immediately said yes. An aggressive rider I know relied on his replacement plan mere hours after his purchase. Ain't happening to me. Mine are hanging in the basement resisting any temptation to smash them up in a snow-packed trail. Don't worry, they'll get ridden soon enough.

I felt a bit odd buying pre-built wheels from Mark. I've probably purchased 4 or 5 sets of very nice, handbuilt wheels from Mark in the past 2 years. In my opinion, there isn't a better wheelbuilder in the area, perhaps anywhere. With every set of wheels he asks me to bring them back after 100 or so miles to check the tension, but after that the wheels are bombproof. I know, I ride hard. My main set of mtb wheels are Mavic 719's with Chris King hubs. Mark has trued them a total of 2 times. Once after the initial break-in and another time when I had pounded some log crossings fairly hard. Great dude with exceptional skills. I guess if he was comfortable enough selling them to me, I trust his judgment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll give you 50 bucks for those two CK hubs.

Seriously!

LC

PS: I think you need to add three cups of Stan's per each 29 inch tire.

PPS: Have a great Christmas.

Boz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boz said...

I'll let you touch the CK's for $50. Sorry, LC, those will still be used for daily use/training wheels.

Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas, too. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Anonymous said...

you guys are totally gonna do it.

LC, are we gonna see your candy a$$ at the races next year?

Anonymous said...

2008 is my year.

LC