Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Not so Lost Valley

Had every intention of heading down to the TNW's last night to put in a hard effort workout. Wasn't planning to race as much as I was planning to do sprints and push some harder gears up the hill at pace. However, the need to help my daughter with her homework won over (rightfully so) and before long I was staring at a clock which read 6:30pm and knowing my chances at riding were dimishing quickly. I thought if I left immediately, I could get out to Greensfelder for a few quick loops on the race course for Sunday, but by the time I threw everything together, that idea was also a mirage.

So, as I organized my bike stuff I had the plan of heading out to Lost Valley and riding in the darkness with me, myself, and I. Luckily when I got home yesterday, I was thinking a little in advance and tossed the Light & Motion Arc Li-Ion battery on the charger. As I rolled into the parking lot at the Mound, I saw several GORC-sters changing and cracking open their post-ride bottles of hops. Envious, I continued to suit up, do a battery check, and roll down the Hamburg Trail for a little me time. As I descended into the trail, I used the waning sunlight to guide my way. However, as I crossed the creek and headed into the singletrack, I was quickly met with darkness. I flipped on the headlight and lit up the trails. I buzzed along for 45 minutes on the trails and decided to point back to the car. During the ride, I saw two very nice trophy bucks and a bazillion frogs. I even passed a rider going up the last hill. I went from feeling like no ride was going to happen to getting a great, albeit less than planned, ride in.

2 comments:

Pedaldork said...

Now that's the way to end a day. Sounds awesome!!!!!

Living a Lie said...

Did you run into any trouble with security at the mound? I heard that they are shutting down the parking lot around 10pm there.

Ive seen some good looking shooter-bucks out there. THey can really floss the trail in the dark.