Thursday, October 30, 2008

$200 mistake

Hit the 'wood yesterday with Pfood and Thrasher yesterday for some miles before dark. After attacking the upper trails of the park we rolled the River Scene trail enroute to the back side of the park. I decided to lead the gang and was mashing the big ring trying to put a little pain into Ralph. I don't know that I did as he was right on my wheel at the end. I backed off before popping into the field but forget to shift out of my big ring. As we rolled back towards the 'illegal' washout area, I went to upshift into the 34T in the back when I started hearing banging and grinding coming from the drivetrain. Thrasher was dodging carbon and metal behind me as my rear derailleur ripped itself to shreds as the chain stretched between the big chainring and the largest cog.

What resulted was a derailleur with no cage left and a bent derailleur hanger. I nursed the bike back to the truck, called the shop, and had them hang around so I could drop another $200 on a new SRAM X.0. I saved the old derailleur and I think I'll make a necklace out of it to remind me what a dumba$$ I am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch.
It hurts just to think about it.

Anonymous said...

Big-big. We used to be able to get away with that before the rear casettes got as big as pie plates in an all-night diner. Now if we make the chain long enough to accomodate that, there's too much chain slap all the time, and too much slack if we ever use the granny gear. I'm thinking I either need to get smaller rear cassettes- 30 teeth max- or ditch the granny. Maybe both.

James Nelson said...

If you ride without the ability to shift you wouldn't have that problem. That being said I road a geared bike last night at Castlewood. Saw your cars in the parking lot but stayed at the front of the park.

So, how were the new shoes?

Anonymous said...

That's exactly why I NEVER use my big ring!

LC