Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Is Anybody Home???

(Thanks to Mike D. for the pictures)

Mike Weiss and the crafty cx boyz set-up a mad course this past weekend. Of particular interest was the "spiral of fear and death".



Okay, no one died, but it was damn confusing at the start. I was spinning around in a hallucinogenic fashion due to the colors of the jerseys, helmets, and bikes. At one point I thought I was riding around in a kaleidoscope. Definitely interesting.

The course was set-up a power course which generally should bode well for me. It didn't. I think the only time I was in contact with other riders and moving up was near the start of the race. Quickly after this picture was taken I began getting caught and moving backwards.


I'm a little confused by all of it too. I feel good on the bike, but I really feel as though I have no power when I need it. I've been changing my diet around lately and trimming back on the carbs. Now I'm starting to wonder if that isn't hurting me a little. It's certainly a possibility. I'm sure missing almost two weeks on the bike in the last month hasn't helped either. Back to the race, there's not much to report other than Bill Howells and John Reimbold put me in arrears fairly easily during the race and they are two guys I look forward to being able to race with. I should say they are riding really well and I don't have anything on them right now.

Next week, due to a scheduling issue I will be running the C race. Yes, down a class and my goal there is to not get passed by as many guys. Let's face it, the fields are getting strong and the race paces are fast. That's all good for the local scene, but leaves you feeling like the lights are on but nobody's home when your legs can't respond.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Mr. Anti-Sandbagger Cyclocross Guy! You'll be up against some Cat 3 roadies in the C race (and had you been there for the final race last year, someone who has now moved up to...the A race!). So you'll be in good company wherever you race!

rudy