Friday, May 11, 2007

Is it time to break through the wall?


I'm entering the world of competitive bicycle racing tomorrow with my first mountain bike race. In the grand scheme of things, it's nothing really. Just more time in the saddle. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that my wife and kids will be there, I could enter and finish and no one would be the wiser.


In the back of my mind, however, I think the world will be different after tomorrow. I'll either discover racing is my next addiction or I'll determine for me, biking is more about the lifestyle and the health benefits, not the competition. Truth be told, I've got a feeling I'm going to 'enjoy' the punishing aspects of racing. Especially, mountain bike racing.


Mountain biking has always been a love for me. It's the form of riding that brought me back into the sport after a 15 year hiatus. All of my fond memories of pain and suffering were done on a mountain bike. Yes, I've had my share of aches and pains on a road bike, but I have to say, with road biking, I always feel like I can turn the pedals. In other words, on a road bike I'm just battling my body. Mountain biking demands the rider battle his or her body, as well as the terrain. In road biking, downhills offer some time to rest, not in mountain biking. Downhills in mountain biking mean time to make up ground and close gaps.


So, where does my future lie? Who knows. One thing is for certain. Come 2pm tomorrow, the wall will be broken and I'll have a much better idea of what's on the other side. (Hint: I think my Gunnar Rockhound 29er is looking to spend more time with me.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.