Monday, August 27, 2007

3rd race, 3rd place

Photos borrowed from Bob Arnold at www.drj-Racing.com


(Start of race: Riders L-R unknown, Zak Hafner, Andy Stewart, me.)

23 years ago. at the ripe old age of 20, Cape Girardeau was where I attended my freshman year of college. A little more than 23 years ago, it was also where I learned firsthand that fat, drunk, and stupid was no way to go through life. Little did I know that it would take another 22 years to realize I could fix two of the three! (The reader may decide which two.) Feeling in a little better shape that when I left 23 years ago, I returned to Cape with a little unfinished business.

The day was hot, but tolerable, and the singletrack was dusty, but quick. I arrived just as the expert race was lining up. They had a good turnout and Chris Ploch was successful in holding off Travis Thrower and Tim Kakouris. Chris looked really strong and once he broke Travis and TK, it was off to the races and the victory.

I continued to talk smack with Aggro Jo and he dished it right back. It was all good and we were both pumped up for a good race. Little did we know there was a local snake lying in the grass ready to strike both of us. Jo has been training hard and it shows, but Sunday, Andy Stewart (local guy from Cape) reigned supreme. All in we had a good race and finished Andy, Jo, and me going 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

I felt good most of the day, but got gapped right near the start of the race. My pre-race plan of picking riders off through the first climb sort of blew up in my face. Aggro and Andy stayed near the front of the pack, but I still had several riders between us when I got caught between a rider who clogged up a hairpin right at the top of a short climb. That short time loss was all Andy and Jo needed to ride free and dual it out for the top spot. During the second climb, I could see Aggro and Andy halfway up the hill and briefly considered trying to bridge the gap. However, I figured it wouldn't be worth the effort, as they were riding very strong and would have dropped me as soon as I caught them. I then turned to see no one in sight behind me and decided to put it into cruise control and crank out for the final podium spot.

Overall, my goal before the race was to podium and I achieved my goal. Next up will be Greensfelder on 9/8 and I am shooting for another podium spot there. We'll see how it unfolds. Three races and finishing spots of 6th, 2nd, and 3rd. I need to work harder.


(First climb and I'm riding 4th from the back but not for long. The next time up this climb, I was in 3rd.)

2 comments:

jwottowa said...

good race Boz. come on down wednesday night and we'll start working towards greensfelder. single speeds for fun?

Unknown said...

Way to go Boz! Another great race and another podium! Better watch out though. Keep it up and they'll make you cat up. It's racing's way of saying "Congratulations. Now get out there and work harder!"

Mark