Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gave it a run


This morning I rolled out with Aggro Jo for the Beer 'N' Brat century. The plan was to take it somewhat easy and get in a good ride. That plan last about as long as the first 10 or so miles. We hooked up with several riders after missing a turn and cranked along at 21-22mph for several miles. During a nature break, we were unceremoniously dropped from the pack and spent the next hour busting our butts trying to bridge the gap to our pack. Aggro and I traded turns pulling (I think he was making stronger pulls) and eventually got back into the back of the pack. Brother, that was a welcome relief.

Unfortunately for me, during a quick water stop around 45 miles, my knee felt like it locked up. I stretched it out a little on the remaining miles back to the start, but it didn't last long. I was dropped from Jo's group around 50 miles and worked to sort out my knee pain. After spinning an easier gear, it felt better and I then pulled a very strong effort to recaputure the group just outside of Freeburg. However the success was short-lived as the pain returned and I was relegated to riding back to my car with my painful knee.
Coming off of two weeks of rest in Europe, I had hoped to come back feeling refreshed. Unfortunately, my knee began bothering me while in Europe and it really seems to be getting worse. What I'm finding is that any time I've got my knee bent, it hurts. Sitting is painful and driving is not good either.

I retired after 67 miles and bid Jo well on his final miles for the day. He's in good shape and should do quite well in the remaining mountain bike races this season. If I can get rid of the pains in my knee, I'll be satisfied finishing with second or third place finishes, because Jo will certainly be on top.

2 comments:

jwottowa said...

ice that knee and it will be good as new. (till I hit it with a frame pump at Greensfelder)

here's hoping you heal quick so we can mix it up a few times yet this season.

Thanks for coming over

Boz said...

i've convinced that squid from saturday to get in front of you at the next race. he'll take you out before the trailhead.