Thursday, May 08, 2008

Losing Time and Tubes

It's been another crazy week of work. I finally get a recovery week from the bike and work goes crazy. Nothing bad, mind you, just busy with an assortment of things coming to a boil at the same time. Today was the peak of the week's activity and in anticipation of it I slept like crap last night. (My sleep has been hit or miss at best. I finally broke down and went to the doctor seeking help and he recommended I start taking Melatonin, which works for approximately 5-6 hours before I wake up for good. That's an entirely different story, however.)

Today, I was scheduled to be in two places (30 miles apart from each other) at the same time, but I worked out an arrangement to be at one meeting until noon and then get to the other meeting by 1pm. To make matters worse, I was told I'd have a lunch waiting for me when I got to the second meeting only to find out that was bungled up. (No big deal really, I'll just use some of the glycogen I'm trying to store up for this weekend's race.) I covered both meetings and felt the day was positive, but mentally exhausting.

Driving home I was thinking I'd still give tonight's TT a try when I discovered my kids needed some help around the house and it was more than I needed to ask my wife to cover. I hate to skip a day of training, but my family is more important and after the day I had, it was really what I needed most.

On another front, I've finally gone tubeless for the mtb. I removed the tubes from the Schwalbe Little Alberts, added some Stan's, and converted the valve cores on the Mavic Crossmax 29er wheels for the no-tube experience. So far, the conversion seems to be holding. It was far easier than I thought to make the switch. The tires mounted without problem and have held air for a day now. Hopefully, they hold up well for the race. My greatest concern is the fact that I saw Pfoodman's Little Alberts at the shop and they look like he ran through razor wire with them. I know he hammers the terrain, but the knobs on the tires were ripped off in several places. Ain't enough Stan's in the world to hold a tire together if it does that. We'll see where it goes from here. Hopefully no more pinch flats and greater traction. All you guys who busted my chops for the past year, look out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The TT would only have served to take the edge off the weekend's race. Now you have that much more in your legs and the satisfaction of knowing your priorities in life are well aligned.

Good luck this weekend. Shred the trails. Shred the competition. Don't shred the tires.