Friday, May 02, 2008

Training and Training...for what?

I'm on the tail end of a stretch of 13 day stretch of training and racing. The legs are starting to respond less and less and I'm certainly feeling it throughout the rest of my body. Over the next two days, I'm going to get another 5 hours of effort in and then begin a little recovery week in preparation for the Castlewood mtb race on 5/10. The race will be the first time I've been back on a mountain bike (for any reason) since the St. Joe's race back on March 2nd.

I'm enjoying the road bike quite a bit right now and based on how I do at the 'Wood will determine whether or not I commit to the rest of the mtb season or shift my focus over to the roads. I really enjoyed the TT and I'm enjoying the crits, as well. The weird issue on the crits is that there is such a steep learning curve for me. The races aren't necessarily about who's the fastest. They are much more about strategy and positioning than I ever realized. That appeals to my problem solving mentality so much more than the mtb races ever did. Yes, they may be easier than a mtb race (based on duration and effort) but I'm amazed at how the races unfold and how experience will trump power almost every time.

The biggest problem will be this. Bob Arnold and the DRJ-ers are hosting the C'Wood race again and I know I'll have a blast. After the race, I'm sure I'll rekindle the love I have for the mountain bike and make the decision that much more difficult. That is, if there is a decision to be made. Stay tuned. Perhaps I'll know. Bugman raced a mountain bike last year and I made a commitment to try road racing in return. What did he know when he offered the challenge???

3 comments:

Ted C. MacRae said...

TT is not for everyone, but for me it represents pure, unadulterated, flat-out speed. Race-of-truth and all, yeah yeah - the chance to just go as fast as possible (on totally cool gear) is what makes it so exhilarating.

btw, I did have fun at that MTB race last fall - if I can get a bike that weighs less than 50 lbs maybe I'll enjoy it even more.

James Nelson said...

At least when you crash on a mountain bike it is due to your inability to ride a bike and not some else's.

Prozenberger said...

There is no decision. I've learned that in the last couple of years. Just enjoy riding your bike!!