Sunday, January 25, 2009

Nowhere Man

Man, the crash really took it out of me. However, this isn't a complaint so much as it's a reflection. I really wanted a break but left up to my modus operandi I would never take serious time off. That is, not while I'm around the house and the bikes. Sure, send me to Europe or a warm, sandy beach and I'll forget to ride as soon as the plane lifts off. But hanging around the house and being available to my friends, I'm too tempted to grab a bike and hit the trails or roll down the roads. When I think back to the night I crashed, my desire to just get out with my buddies is what put me in the saddle. I think this happened for a reason and I'm glad for the break. I'll have some weight to lose, but it will help me focus. I like hard training, because the pain in preparing your body gets to compete with the pain of preparing your mind. For those of us who race cross and TT's, you understand getting your mind prepared is sometimes the bigger battle. I'm going nowhere in a hurry and for the first time in a long time, I'm off the front of the pack!

2 comments:

Casey Ryback said...

when starting up your training regimen, don't forget to re-whiten your teeth, wax your arms, and bleach your hair.

Boz said...

If I could be 1/2 as fast as those little-wheeled-PROs with the pearly whites, baby butt smooth arms, and Billy Idol hair, don't you think I would have tried that already????