Saturday, January 10, 2009

Short Season

Got out Thursday night with some guys from the team for a night ride on the mountain bikes. Great night, cold and clear, frozen trails, and a very bright moon. Joining us was my brother-in-law, Andy, who's taking up mountain biking. My goal (as well as my wife and Andy's) was that he didn't get hurt. He didn't.

Towards the end of the ride, I planned to bunny hop a fallen tree and I guess I misjudged the distance. (Night riding can have its disadvantages.) As a result my rear wheel clipped the tree which acted like a diving board propelling my rear wheel upward and me headfirst over the bars onto my right shoulder. Result was a trip to the ER, xrays, and my arm in a sling. The good news is nothing is broken or dislocated. But, I don't see the orthopedic surgeon til Monday. Right now it's classified as a severe sprain and hope it remains the case otherwise it could be a short season.

More good news is the state TT isn't until August and cross follows 2 months later. I'll be ready regardless.

8 comments:

Jeff Yielding said...

Boz, heal fast... I know the feeling :)

Anonymous said...

Been there. Done that. The MTB ride that wrecked my hand for the better part of 6 months was a night ride.

Hopefully nothing permanent except the memory of a good ride (up to that point, anyway)

Mark

Anonymous said...

Dang, Boz!

Yes, I know all about that - my shoulder is still messed up (though, fortunately, without pain). Your mileage may vary.

I'm laid up, too - another busted rib. I'll post about it soon, but for now I want to squeeze as much out of my 7 seconds of fame as possible.

regards--ted

El Cavano said...

I strongly recommend no arm wrestling for 6 weeks.

Rest up.

LC

Anonymous said...

you seem to have very bad luck on mountain bikes?

The ralph account said...

You should learn to do the pamel horse..

Heal up dude, we got a season ahead.

Anonymous said...

Get better - I need people like you to keep me motivated for the upcoming mtn bike season.

-jp

Anonymous said...

Take care man. I hope you heal up quickly!

Please keep us posted as to how things turn out.