Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Current Musical Tastes


Right now there are a couple of bands I can't seem to get hear too much. The Foo Fighters and Evanesence. The Foo have been around a few years now, but until their most recent album I never paid them much attention. They were always sort of playing in the background and I lost them in the mix of everything grunge, post-grunge, emo, or alternative rock. I greatly respect Dave Grohl for soldiering on post-Cobain Nirvana and even swapping out the drum kit for a guitar. In my opinion, the Foo Fighters have reached a level of significance most of us would only dream about. The recent album: Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Graceis an album I put on and it feels as comfortable and unpretenious as a pair of faded jeans and a 20 year old sweatshirt. It feels right. Rough and tumble in the right places, but easy and mellow where it counts. The best news of all is that the FF's just announced a July 20th St. Louis concert, so count me in.




Evanesence on the otherhand is a lesson in progress for me. I 'discovered' them after hearing them as a part of 105.7 The Point's rotation. Now, the more I listen to their tracks on Rhapsody, the more entralled I become. Amy Lee's vocals seem to pierce right into your body and resonate in your head for hours. I'm in the process of learning a little more about the band and I have put more and more of their songs onto my mp3. I have already learned that they were often times labeled as a Christian band, but Amy Lee is quite put off by that label claiming that was her co-founder's belief not hers. Nevertheless, I'm hooked and will be blasting through some of their tracks over the next few weeks.

No comments: