Friday, March 14, 2008

Who You Callin' a Sandbagger??

Last year, I began racing Beginner class in mountain bikes and had three podium finishes in 4 races. While I didn't think anything of it, I certainly heard plenty of 'sandbagger' comments coming from the crowd. This year, I joined the road racing ranks and won my first road race and if it weren't for the fact that everyone had already left when the prizes were handled out, it certainly would have been ripe for another chorus of the term, "sandbagger."

Well, I've hopefully addressed the critics so far this year. In mtb races, I now race Sport class and in the short term, the podium is safe. On the road, I felt much stronger but under USCF rules, I was required to race as a Cat 5. Based on a recent outing and some guidance from members of my team, I appealed the USCF and asked for an upgrade to Cat 4, and was granted my request this past Wednesday.

3 comments:

Pedaldork said...

Congrats on the upgrade. It's a little safer in the 4's, at least here in AZ. Good luck in the next race. It only took me 15 years to upgrade so youre definitely moving along faster than I did :)

TeamSeagal said...

Dude, where were you for the Lost Valley race! The wrist snappage was quite thorough (not to be confused with Thoreau.)

Sorry, bad pun. Anywho, you had better go like 3 times as fast at the next race in order to make up for it...

-C. Ryback

Anonymous said...

Boz is going to do some damage this spring. There are a lot of new quick Sport racers out there, which is always motivating. The LV race was cool cause you could see the competition. Boz, you're on track to make expert at 47-48 years old, I think, which is when I jumped. I can't wait for a more technical course.

Our teammate Zak did great, and I held off Aggro, which was no easy feat. We're going to have a great season. Numbers are up.