Sunday, June 01, 2008

Suddenly Your Heart is Pounding, Wishing Secretly You Were a Star

The race went as planned. I was on my first peak of the year and I DNF'd. Excuse? I'm fighting an injury right now and while I hoped it wouldn't bother me in the race, it did. I made it through 1 1/4 laps of the race, but in the end I was fooling myself. Hated the idea of quitting, but everything happens for a reason.

I'm taking a break from the bike. Not because I'm discourage, upset, or changing my approach on my training. I'm going to spend a little more time with my family, get some things done around the house, do some work travel, and get my body recovered and healed up. Don't think I'm coming to terms with a defeatist mentality, here. Rather, I'm understanding where and how God is leading me to bring glory to Him. The bible verse on my bike held true this weekend. Psalm 7:1, "O Lord my God, in you I have taken refuge; Save me from all those who pursue me, and deliver me." God did save me and delivered me from all who pursue me. In the end of my race, no one was pursuing me and I was at peace with His will.

My teammates were a great group today. First of all, we met and traveled together in Todd's RV to the race. I can't tell you how enjoyable it was to ride together and have good fun and fellowship before and after the race. Everybody rode the race in a strong fashion and most importantly had fun doing it. They are an amazing group of men and I am humbled by their physical and spiritual gifts.

On a final note, the race was a great race. Very well organized and the route, while challenging, was a good route. I certainly think it has the potential to be one of the better races in the metro St. Louis area. Thanks to the good folks at Metro East Cycling for putting the race together and giving of their time.

3 comments:

Pedaldork said...

Boz,

Sorry to hear about the DNF. After reading your latest entry, I thought I may as well copy it into my blog as well. My back is causing my hamstrings to cramp which is driving me crazy on the bike. Though I'm not going to take time off the bike I'm going to lower the intensity.

Time with your family is oh so important. Maybe it will be the rest your body needs and you will be back more motivated then ever to finish out the season.

Take Care

Brian said...

How much for the Cosmic Carbones?

Racing hurts way more than anything else (other than when a woman breaks your heart). It aint no joke.

Hang in there. There's still plenty of racing to be done this year and in the future.

Rich K said...

boz, sorry to hear about the DNF, but as you say things happen for a reason. i've been suffering from race burnout and minor aches and pains myself. i plan to take a break after winghaven before hitting the next half of the season. Get over that injury is most important!!! i can't believe i missed that race!!!