Sunday, September 07, 2008

All Signs Point to "No Go"

This past week was busy with work meetings. All day and into the night through midday Saturday. No time to ride, little time to sleep, and virtually no time with my family. When the meetings concluded on Saturday around noon, I high-tailed it out of downtown and sped for the ranch in hopes of loading up the mountain bike and getting in a few laps at Greensfelder. Jennifer and Collin were at the PGA event and Kelsey was with her grandparents, so the afternoon was mine.

I grabbed the Spider, an extra set of wheels (different tread options), a set of clothes and headed out the door. As it turns out, I forgot to grab a spare tube, pump, or mini-tool of any sort. Luckily, the tires looked okay, but I really had no idea of what sort of air pressure I had in the the wheels. As I suited up and started to roll the race loop, I noticed Team Pirtle-slager climbing up and asked who else was on the course. Word was Pfoodman and Schuck were out and coming up on a lap. I waited and was met by RP and Eric, as well as Mike Gibson. We chatted for a while comparing loop times. The fast experts were quoting something in the 13 min range, while Pfood was more confident of 15 min times.

Once the gang left, I set my watch and rolled to the shelter to begin a lap. I thought my rear tire seemed a little low, but thought I'd give it a go on the course and compare whether or not it was faster due to the better traction. I was definitely grabbing better, but I was also noticing the tire wanted to roll on hard corners. Sure enough, I pressed hard into the bermed corner and rolled the tire off the rim. Hike a bike #1. Up to the car, wherein I grabbed another rear wheel and started to head out. However, that one seemed low on air as well. Luckily, I spotted El Cavano prepping for his throwdown with Senor Grumpke and begged use of a pump. We chatted for a while and then I began another lap.

Not more than 4 minutes into the ride, my front tire started losing air. Within seconds, it was completely flat. Since I was running tubeless, I suspected a decent cut in the tire. Back to the car and tire number three. Quick change, back into the trail, started lap number three. This time it was clean. I pushed hard, but not until the end did I really start pushing my self. As a result, I ran a 15:30 on the nose. I think I could have run a sub 15 minute lap, so I started off on my second loop and right behind the shelter, I tagged a rock and blew out my front tire. Sheer stupidity was the culprit this time. As I had locked out my front shock on the prior lap's climb and since I was bombing downhill into rocks it was only a matter of time before something bad happened.

I was only a slight possibility for the race on Sunday. After my experiences on the trail Saturday, I took those as signs pointing to 'no' and gladly filled the day with church, a round of golf with Collin, and then baseball and dinner. All in all this was a scheduled rest day and it felt like one too.

No comments: