Sunday, November 09, 2008

Another Year in the Books

Turned 44 yesterday. Spent the entire day with my wife and kids at the Mizzou game. Eventhough it was the coldest day of the fall season, it was great being together and having no pressing bike race, soccer game, or school-driven commitments. Forty-four is also an odd birthday. From a racing perspective I'm not on the cusp of being able to race 45+, which is good. But otherwise, no real feelings or frames of reference.

Although I did get one frame of reference today (and unfortunately it's one that is too often getting repeated). The checker at Schnuck's was prompted for my birthday when he rang up my beer purchase. I responded that it was actually today. He smiled and too cheerfully said, "yeah, I just turned 19 this week!" I smiled, shook my head and replied, "well, I could be your father!" This is getting more and more prevolent for me. Just at work the other day, I was talking with some younger associates about college and when I started. That prompted one young lady to respond, "wow, I was only 1 then."

All I can say is that I'm in better shape (and weigh less) than I was when I graduated college. How many of them can say that? Although it's just another year in the books, it's been another great year and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

8 comments:

Ted C. MacRae said...

Happy birthday, you young whippersnapper! It was right around my 44th birthday when I looked at that fatso in the mirror in disgust - for the umpteenth time - and finally slung my leg ove a bike to begin a new life.

Believe me, it only gets better!

Pedaldork said...

Happy Birthday Old Man. Older than me yet could kick my butt on a bike anyday. Hope you had a great day!!!1

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day. Congrats on all the good things you've accomplished in the past 12 months.

Have you gotten over the younger set calling you "sir"? I used to reply that's how to address my dad, not me. Somewhere along the line it stopped mattering. I'm not sure when that happened exactly. I might have known at one point, but my memory isn't what it used to be. :)

Good luck today at the races.

Jim said...

Happy Birthday a day late.

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the Birthday wishes young man.

Strong, strong effort today.

LC

Anonymous said...

boz,
happy b day. if you just turned 44, your racing age for next season is 45 right?

check into it. I think that is how it works

aggro

Anonymous said...

You just a kid. It's been a while since I turned 44.

Airmen said...

happy belated bday!