Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Little More Cowbell

"I gotta have more cowbell!"

I'm jumping into the cyclocross ('cross) racing scene this year. I have really enjoyed racing mountain bikes this year, however, with the exception of a couple of venues, it's really not conducive to spectating. One of the things I miss about competing in bike races is that my family doesn't have a chance to cheer me and the other riders on. The Cape race was a spectator friendly course as we were able to circle back through the start finish area several times during the race. It was great hearing the cheers of the fans to help you when you were feeling a little fatigued.

With 'cross courses being shorter fan-friendly loops, I think there's an opportunity to turn the races into Belgian-style race experiences complete with cheering fans, buzzing racers, and most importantly, cowbells! Yep, cowbells. Loud ones, too. Imagine the adrenaline rush you'd have lapping a course ringed with cheering fans, blowing horns, clapping, screaming, and clanging cowbells! The Tour of Missouri has people buzzing right now. The way I saw crowds cheering for the Tour riders is the environment we should have for all or our races.

I know you're thinking, where in the heck do I get cowbells? I've anticipated that thought and found you a site:

www.bell-outlet.com/cowbells.htm

You can even listen to the bells on the site and select the right sound. Let's turn the racing scene into a party! Who's with me? Call me "the Bruce Dickinson", cause "I think we need a little more cowbell." Who wouldn't want to race in this?



Finally, if you're not sure how to 'play' a cowbell? Instead of me trying to describe it, just model the cowbell player in this picture:

1 comment:

Brian said...

Don't forget about cowbell.com. You can get custom logos emblazoned upon them and your color of choice.