Monday, September 17, 2007

Tour of Missouri

The inaugural ToM is now in the books and sans Dan Schmatz's unfortunate accident on Stage 2, I'd say it seemed to be quite successful all around. Good crowds and decent routes played into the hands of the riders, as well as the spectators. Hopefully, this bodes well for the event returning next year and for many years to come.

Saturday, my family and I had hoped to catch the riders as they crossed highway 40 while traveling north on Highway 94. Those plans fell through as the starting time for my son's soccer game eclipsed the pace the peloton was setting and we missed seeing them altogether. Via the internet coverage, I was able to catch the small break of riders attacking the Schluersberg climb. Yes, they sprinted up it, but I guarantee their lungs and legs were burning nicely at the summit of that climb.

Sunday we had plans to head down to Olive and 15th to view the race along with King Furby and the gang from STLCC. The lure of beer, food, and prime viewing seemed impossible to turn away. However, my in-laws had asked to join us and since they are not overly familiar with downtown, we agreed to meet them at the western end of the course. We parked at the History Museum, began walking, and settled in at the corner of Delmar and DeBaliviere. Thanks to James and the Big Shark gang, I was able to enjoy some O'Fallon Brewery keg beers (seemed like IPA) and the corner action as the peloton headed back east towards the start finish line.

All in all, it was a good spot to watch the race unfold. While walking between laps, we saw some of our friends from around the neighborhood sitting in one of the grass islands on Delmar. We watched the last 4 laps with them while I helped explain the tactics of road racing to most of the gathering non-competitive cycling crowd. Most of the spectators seemed to think the tactics were more akin to a mountain bike race. Jump off the front, ride so hard you want to puke, and hope it's enough to get you a win or a podium. (At least that's my approach to mtb racing.) As I explained the physics and physical demands working against 4 riders in front of a peloton of 100+ riders I could tell in their faces they didn't believe me. Maybe it's un-American to believe that 4 riders can't break away and stake their own claim of a race victory. At any rate, as the lead in the last 3 laps unwound from 150 secs, to 90 secs, to 15 secs, my hypothesis proved valid and the gang was mesmorized, including me. The power of the peloton is unescapable.

I think the ToM will be back next year. I'll do my best to let my partners at Edward Jones, as well as the other sponsors, know how much their sponsorship was appreciated. Be sure to do the same when you come across them.

1 comment:

jwottowa said...

I heard you are so hardcore you broke a chain while watching the race with your family.

CHAINSNAPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!