Friday, November 16, 2007

Bothersome things







Over the past week, I've either read, watched, or been subjected to the above "bothersome things."

I've been on the road since Sunday morning. Over the years, I've grown very tired of business travel. When I'm traveling, I tend to get cranky and become more and more of a cynic. I think a great deal of my mood is influenced by being away from my family and away from my familiar routines. Your food is different and your bed is different. Essentially everything you might need while you're on the road must fit into a suitcase, backpack, or a 1-quart baggy. And don't even think of taking liquids in excess of 3 ounces anywhere requiring a plane ride!

First off, the TSA and our government never cease to amaze me when it comes to defending our great country. Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud American and believe we must remain steadfast in our protection of our country and our way of life. I'm only suggesting we attempt to be smart while doing so. For example, why does a grandmother in a wheelchair need to be searched? Folks, if you're saying to yourself, "perhaps it's a terrorist in disguise?" forget it. The best plastic surgeons or make-up artists couldn't pull off that reproduction. Do we have a large population of senior citizens angry enough to attack our nation? Also, why is it so dog gone hard for folks to understand metal sets off a METAL DETECTOR! I stood and watched the same person go through the same metal detector not once, not twice, but four times. Each time was like watching a prospector panning for gold and repeatedly striking it rich. There's gold in them thar body parts!!

Secondly, Barry Bonds. In one word, SAD. Yes, I thought he was juicing all along, but the indictment casts an uglier shadow on the whole affair. Not a shocker you say? Well, consider this. When it was speculated the record books would include Barry Bonds with an asterisk, perhaps he didn't care. He'd still be in the record books and folks would primarily remember him for his home runs. Not a chance now. An indictment for perjury and obstruction of justice linked to his use of performance enhancing drugs. The indictment could effectively cast enough of a shadow on his name to all but eliminate him from the record books, as well as the Baseball Hall of Fame. How sad is that? I guess the temptation of mythological performance is too great. Some players will stop at nothing to gain that extra edge. Which brings me to my final "bothersome thing."

While reading this month's Cycle Sport magazine I was reminded of the shenanigans and tom-foolery which unfolded in this year's Tour de France. I'll never forget the day our family arrived in Paris and settled in to watch (on French TV with french commentators) Michael Rasmussen win the difficult stage 16. Stage 16 was epic in the battle that unfolded between Rasmussen and Alberto Contador on the slopes of the Col d'Aubisque. Eventhough we didn't understand the TV commentary, our family was awestruck as we watched the two riders take turns riding the other off of their wheel. The following day, our feelings took a sharp nose dive as we learned of the Dane's alleged drug involvement and withdrawal from the Tour. "Hero to zero" in less than 24 hours. Michael Rasmussen bet the ranch and lost the bet. Unbelievable.

Oh well, I'm heading home. Home. Family, food, familiar things, not "bothersome things."

No comments: