Friday, November 30, 2007

Commuter countdown


I've commuted to work by bike before, but it was always just a one-off deal. Generally, it would be on a casual Friday ride on a really nice day. However, starting December 3 I will be a daily commuter. Several factors played a role in my decision. The impending 40/64 shutdown, environmental concerns, short commute on decent roads, as well as the ability for some additional exercise all seem like good reasons to me.


My commute will be somewhere in the 5 mile range and generally there is only 1 road without any shoulder, Weidman road, which is the first (and last) 1.5 miles of my commute. On my outbound commute, Weidman also provides a short, but quite steep hill roughly 1 mile from the house. While it's no big deal, I also plan to commute on a single speed road bike. Not necessarily a fixie, just a single speed. Tried the fixie experience, not really for me. I like it in small doses, don't need it twice a day.


People have asked me why I'm beginning to commute when the weather is at it's worst. My response, "it's never a bad time to ride your bike." Of course, non-cyclists don't understand that response. You know, sometimes I don't either. The trek begins Monday. Stay tuned for details.

1 comment:

Ted C. MacRae said...

Kudos to you, and good luck. I wish I could bike to work - 14 miles on country roads would be ideal. However, I've got to either get the kids to school or pick them up - another 4 years before the youngest can be home alone (if then!).