Thursday, November 08, 2007

Comes a Time


“But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

Lately, I've spent a considerable amount of time looking at my daily life, my relationship with my family and friends, and my relationship with God. Suffice it to say I didn't feel balance in any of them. I'm hoping to change that beginning now. I've always believed in God, but never put Him in the primary focus of my life. Same thing with my family and friends. Too many times, I do things for me and not for them. Well, as Neil Young sings, "Comes a time, when you're drifting. Comes a time when you settle down."

I've been trying to settle down, pray regularly, and rearrange the focus of my life for the past couple of months. I feel more at ease and more centered around what's important for life, not just what's important for me. Some of the re-focus affects my cycling life how it plays into my choices for cycling and racing in the future. Ralph Pfremmer played a key role in my decision to begin racing. Throughout the year, he has been a great friend and coach by offering me guidance in the form or training or racing tips. In return for his help, I proudly wore the Pfoodman/Wapiti jersey in my final four races this year. I definitely owe Ralph a lot of credit for my results this year. Thanks Ralph, you're a good man and great for encouraging others to push themselves for the best results!

Heading into 2008, I'm focusing my riding around God by joining International Christian Cycling Club (ICCC or IC3). I feel God has blessed my life and I need to offer my thanks and honor His blessings. I believe this move will help avoid the "I'm riding for me" mentality. You may be thinking, Boz or Bas, you can still be a Christian and ride for other teams. True, but as I put at the beginning of this post, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." For me, serving the LORD needs to come in this manner.

I look forward to serving the members of ICCC, as well as all people. God has richly blessed us all and wants nothing in return except a lasting relationship with us, a relationship that will last for an eternity!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to apologize in advance for taking the lords name in vain in your presence. I don't know when, but I am sure it will happen eventually.

p.s. I am coveting your wife this very moment. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Boz,

There's a great men's Bible study at 6:30 on Monday mornings here in Webster G that Todd Harris and I have been involved in for a long time. We're currently working through a study on life balance that is giving me some real practical direction for living a God-centered life. You're welcome to join us but I suggest you jump in quick, as we're making pretty good time going through it. If you're interested but the time doesn't work out for you, consider getting a copy of Life@Work. I'd be glad to talk through it with you. Best way to reach me is to send a PM to me from STL Biking. Handle's Dozer.

An ICCC brother,

Larry

Brian said...

My jersey has the word "Saint" on it and several crosses. I'm already there, man. :)