Monday, February 25, 2008

It's All Downhill From Here!

The morning was cold and the roads were wet.
The course was prepped, the field was set.
Along we rolled as the nerves were high,
90+ riders battling thigh to thigh.
Bottles were dropped as the pave was rough
but the banging of brakes, enough is ENOUGH!

Most of the experience and speed came to the front
oh to ride tempo and race safely is but a want.
Hold back the reigns but keep the pace slightly high
while planning my strategy as the miles roll by.
Before long there's a crash within shot of my ear
re-alerting my senses that danger is near.

I look for my friends and they are in sight
cranking and biding their time 'til it's right.
I want to move up but Aggro say's not yet
we've got a ways to go before the table is set.
Back in the fold, as more wheels we did suck
dodging the potholes and wishing for luck.

The tarmac tilted upward as the tempo grew swift
right as the lactic acid arrived and asked for a lift.
A climber I'm not, but the hills should be brief
keep hammering your legs and wait for relief.
As our group neared our 'summit' I almost got gapped
but when I looked back their elastic had snapped.

No one on our wheels our group was now fifteen
roaring through the final miles as a 30-legged machine.
We were cruising along like a train with a caboose
as one rider sprinted free and then all hell broke loose.
Within 1 mile now and the school was in sight
as someone yelled out "slow riders on the right!"

The chaos was beginning as battle lines were drawn
as this was not to be a finish missed by a yawn.
Drew found an opening and took off like a jet
Getting on his wheel would be my best bet.
We burst for the line four riders in mass
I was there first, as my competitor I did pass!

The Cat 5 40+ winner was most certainly me
but two other riders made me number three.
As we sorted out the results I suddenly learned
that my elapsed time was the fastest one turned.
The Lord blessed me and kept me for that I know
and I give all honor to Him and thanks as I go.

http://www.ultramaxtri.com/results/08_Froze_Toes/08_Froze_Toes_Bike_Race.pdf

Thanks to everyone who has helped me prepare for the new season. Especially my wife and kids for letting me train as much as I have. Thank you. You're very special to me.

We're off to a good season, but let's just hope it's not all downhill from here!

5 comments:

Prozenberger said...

Oh Wow, that is awesome!!

Anonymous said...

great ride! awesome day! wish I coulda been up front with ya but somebody threw bodies and bikes all over the road in front of me. Oh well next time.

Congrats!

p.s. no more attempts at poetry. tia

Aggro

MC Stankles said...

Nice race man way to place!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the win. I'm glad to see all of that training paid off!

Unknown said...

Yeah, great race out there. Saw your name up there on top of your race.
See ya out at St. Joes this weekend.