Friday, February 01, 2008

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature




Look, I'm not trying to fool Mother Nature. It's not like I presented her with some emulsion of saturated fat and tried to pawn it off as sweet creamy butter. And who believes Mother Nature is the vindictive type? Isn't Mother Nature required to operate with some degree of benevolence? Surely, she knew I (as well as everyone else) was scheduled for some long rides this coming weekend. However, with 8+ inches of snow on the ground what are we supposed to do now? Mountain bike in the snow? Cyclocross bike on the roads? Cross country ski? Snowboard? Snowshoe? Snowmobile? Dog sled?

Wait, what about spending 6 hours on the trainer???

Ahh, the trainer. I've been told there's always a headwind on the trainer and that 'headwind' builds mental toughness. I guess I can buy into that logic, but hasn't everyone else (except Bugman) been shackled to a trainer during the crappy weather? So the fact that we're ALL building mental toughness means one thing, the races are going to be filled with mentally-twisted, overly-zealous, pave craved riders breaking away with every turn of the pedal. Sounds like fun to me.

So, I submit to you. Will sledding with the kids be a sufficient surrogate for a high quality 3 hour bike workout? What if I book-end each workout with a Mardi Gras and Super Bowl party? Now that's a training program no coach can argue with! Until he reads my blog, that is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT? I CANT HEAR YOU TALKING. MY TRAINER IS TOO LOUD. YEP GOT MY 2 HOURS IN ALREADY AND NOW I AM GOING SLEDDING. OH YEAH,

HTFU ALREADY