Saturday, April 12, 2008

Betcha Won't Eat That

Last night our family headed out to JJ Twigs for some pizza and family time. For our dinner, we ordered a Bacon Cheeseburger pizza and a Grilled Chicken and Mushroom pizza. The Bacon CB pizza was advertised with the special JJ Twigs sauce, bacon, hamburger, onions, dill pickle slices, cheddar and mozzarella cheese. After it was baked, they were to add shredded lettuce and tomatoes. My son and I thought that would be a decent pizza, so we ordered it sans the lettuce and tomatoes. (It's a little to much meat for me, but I figured I'd give it a go.)

We were having a great time talking and catching up with each other's week. As the NCAA men's basketball was now complete it was time to discuss the winner's prize of our family pool. My wife, Jennifer, won in a tiebreaker over my son by guessing the score of the final game. Mind you, the objective was to be the closest to the total points for the final game. My wife hit the tally on the nose. Her prize, a foot massage to be delivered by me and my son. As we discussed the foot massage, my son reminded her that foot is singular and feet is plural, so she still needed to determine which FOOT was getting massaged. (We think he has the right skillset to become an attorney or worse yet, a politician.)

During my attempt to weasel my way out of the bet, my wife commented that she didn't want me to just write a check to a spa. I began seeking other alternatives when I spied one of my daughter's remaining chicken tender appetizers along with the ranch dip. I quickly asked if the massage would be waived if I were to eat the chicken dipped in the ranch dip. As they laughed and piled on conditions for the bet, the deal was struck and I was eye to eye with a ranch dip coated chicken tender. Let me just stop right here and say that I H-A-T-E dips, dressings, mayos, mustards, and anything else that resembles any of the above. I could tell this would be a big deal for me and them.....but I chickened out. I couldn't get past the smell of the dip. I'm a weenie.

Now the pizza arrives. Looks awesome, it's hot, smells great. I grab a piece of the CB pizza, take a big bite, and frown. Maybe it's the tang of the pickles?? No, it's too tangy to my taste buds. I think to myself, that tastes a lot like yellow mustard. Weird. I take another bike. Bingo! Yellow mustard. And I'm thinking is this some cruel joke to get me for the failure to eat the chicken? I call the waiter over and he says, yeah, it's got mustard on it. I ask, what a part of the description on the menu? He says, absolutely, but let me bring you a menu. Here is their menu description:

"Made with our own Special Sauce, hamburger, crispy bacon, onions, Cheddar & Mozzarella Cheeses and dill pickle chips. Topped off with lettuce and fresh Roma tomatoes. Tastes just like a cheeseburger!" Dang. Why didn't that register with me? Long story short, they made us a new one with the regular tomato based sauce and it was great. Again, a little too much meat on it for my tastes, but it really did remind you of a burger. Actually, it reminded you a little of a white castle.

Overall, it was a great meal and we laughed a lot. Good Times!

No comments: