Monday, April 07, 2008

Sometimes LIFE Gets in the Way

of training that is. I've had a bad week from a training perspective. Too much life and too little training. My reason for missing my workout on Friday withstanding, I've enjoyed all the family reasons for missing some workouts this week. Spending more time with my wife and kids isn't something I'm going to ever regret.

Friday night, however, I missed a workout because I banged my thick skull into the side of a rather large dresser and darn near knocked myself out. I got home late from work and was quickly getting dressed to ride. The plan was to ride out past St. Albans and meet up with my wife and kids at her sister's house for a birthday party. However, as I smacked my noggin' on the corner of the cabinet, my plans quickly shifted to remaining upright as little, imaginary birdies began circling my brain while my knees buckled. Yeah, I've taken a few shots to the head while crashing on the mountain bike, but this one was a doozie. My head did split, but luckily, it wasn't anything more than a small cut. After an ice-pack and three Tylenols, I managed to drive my suv to the party and get through the night with a dull headaches and a knot on the side of my head. My wife said she was going to wake me every 2 hours Friday night to check on me, but she fell asleep. So did I.

Saturday, I made a late decision to take on the Covered Bridge ride. Kent Jones had asked if anyone from our team wanted to ride and I decided at 7am that morning that I would. Due to my late decision I tackled the ride solo. After a foggy and extremely chilly start, I think I evened the score to 1-1 with Saturday's effort. I definitely climbed much better than last time. I even added in one hill climb to the route for good measure (Tishimingo to Old 21). That route is addicting if you've never done it. Of course, it's an epic route from a climbing standpoint, but it's also epic in the traffic flow, lack of traffic lights, and the scenery. My heavens some of the early spring scenes were something. Also, I think there are 3 lights in the 50+ miles of riding. I averaged around 18mph, which I'll take on that route anytime.

Sunday, I was planning to spin for 1-2 hours in the flats, but my wife made a suggestion to try to get Cardinals tickets and take the kids to a game. How many times in St. Louis do we get a cloudless, 70 degree day for a 1:15pm game? I used StubHub (very easily, I might add) and we were sitting at the game following a morning at church. What a great day and a Cards shutout to boot!

Finally, when we got home from the game, the Tour of Flanders was coming on Versus. The Ronde de Vlaanderen is my favorite race of the year, so I settled onto the couch and watched all but the last 6km before we headed up to church for our small group evenings. Afterwards, we watched the final 6km's on Tivo and what a finish!! A Belgian wins!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you found your climbing legs. You should have called me for that Saturday epic. I'd have jumped at the chance. I ended up going it alone myself.

Oh, and for around the house I recommend a hockey helmet. Your standard Giro or Bell doesn't have an option for face protection.

TeamSeagal said...

Safety glasses, mouth-guard, and extra-large shoes for stability might help too... :)

-C. ryback

Ted C. MacRae said...

Dang, I thought I was injury prone! Hey, if it only causes one missed workout it's not an injury - suck it up!