Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Last One Out Gets the Check

You've all seen the scene in the movies. Some guy is walking down the street completely unaware of the calamity taking place behind him. Soon people are running past him at a speedy clip and he's wondering what the heck is going on. Quickly enough he turns around to see two things. One, no one else is left behind him and two, he's on death's doorstep. Well that appropriately sums up my performance at last night's Tuesday Night Worlds, B race.

My less than stellar performance should have been expected. I stood around on my feet all day Saturday, put in a strong TT on Sunday, didn't sleep at all Monday night. As a result my race was a little more than an experience in pedalling really fast while my lungs staged a sit-down strike. Seriously, it was good experience. I learned some more things about racing crits and namely, where I can attack on that course. I didn't sit in the back all night and I actually put my nose within the front 5-7 riders once late in the race, so all wasn't lost.

Funniest part was when I talked with my wife afterwards the first words out of her mouth were the truest. "Well, you're not going to do well everytime you race." True that. Perhaps the Lord sent me a good message last night. You see, the verse I placed on my bike last night was Ephesians 6:10, "Finally, be strong in the Lord and his mighty power." Maybe that was a little insight into how I was feeling and where my true power is and will be.

It's all a part of racing and I'm learning and loving ever minute of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you KIDDING me? you just catted up from 5, you were in the lead pack of the B race late in the race...and you're calling it less than stellar??? you got to remember what race you were in...

rudy

Pedaldork said...

From the sounds of Rudy's comment, you kicked butt. I'm a few years younger and I know you'd kick my butt.

TeamSeagal said...

Maybe some PCP will help you go faster! Hell, down a whole helping of that and you won't even know if you crash!

Seriously though, keep it up. Think you may be out for the Castlewood NORBA race?

-C. Ryback

Boz said...

I'm definitely IN for the C'Wood race! By then I'll be hungry for a little dirt.

Marc said...

The B race is a strange beast. It depends how many "30+1,2,3 masters" are in it and how much they want to push. Sounds like you did pretty good to me!