Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tilles Park

First official crit is in the books. I raced the 4/5's race and from the folks I know in the race there appeared to be more 4's than 5's in the race. Not really sure how many were in the pack, but I'd guess somewhere around 50???

Overall a good race for me. I went to the front several times and actually led a few laps. Won 1 prime, too. My official finishing spot was 16th, but the officials had problems with the finishing line camera and failed to catch the numbers of several riders. I actually thought I was around 10th, but since I couldn't recall the riders around me (I guess a sprint finish does that) I didn't feel right taking the 10th place spot. When I got home, I talked with my wife and she said she thought I finished 10th and a couple of people around her (from my team) thought the same. Oh well, that's racing and it's in the books. I feel better knowing I had a great race and was mixing the field up whenever I could.

The prime lap was funny to me. Bill Howells and I were rounding the corner before the back straighaway and he looked over and said, "I really don't like Red Bull, it's yours." I laughed and said "I'll split it with you" and dropped the hammer. Bill is such a strong rider and I always enjoy seeing that lime green Specialized of his. Don't ever paint that thing man!

Overall, our ICCC team rode a strong race. We had 5 guys in the 4/5 race and our goal was to get someone (namely Scot Wallace or Jim Moore) launched off the front and then block like mad. As it turns out, we got Mike McKee off the front on one lap and then Rich Pierce, Scot, and Jim were blocking up the front. I was recovering midpack and trying to work my way to the front again, when Mike and the guy he was with started to slow. The field accelerated and the sight of the riders and soon enough they were back in the fold.

I'd say it was a fun day for all. It was awesome having my wife, Jennifer, and my kids, Kelsey and Collin, there cheering me on in spite of the chilly 42 degree weather. I'm sure they would have rather been sitting in a warm house instead of watch me play around on a bike. Next race for me will be the Tour of St. Louis on 4/26 & 4/27. If those races go well, you may not see too much of me off-road this year. I'm really enjoying the road right now and it seems to suit my body a little more. I'll be at Castlewood on 5/10 and will make my final assessment based on that race.

Yours truly winning a prime.


Greg Lyeki from Trek on the lead.


Rich Pierce, Jim Moore, and me taking care of business.


Rich Pierce and Scot Wallace keeping the pace high.


Me (left of center) and Jim Moore (right of center) mixing it up at the front.

4 comments:

James Nelson said...

Yeah I saw you and should of come over but I was a little sore and figured I should get home and get cleaned up. Bummer too I was feeling good and would of liked to the second race. See you at Castlewood maybe.

Prozenberger said...

Nice ride man! That first crit can be a bit intimidating, way to roll! And, half dressed in the cold temps!!

I was planning on making the Crowder Race this weekend on the Karate Monkey, but it was canceled :(

MC Stankles said...

Nice Job man! sounds like you had a pretty good race. Crits are such a rush I can't wait to get back in them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.